Sunday, September 23, 2007

Notebook Distribution in Kanakapura- a photoblog

Sagar in the first post addressed me as ‘the feather-weight photographer’, that’s the first time someone else has called me a photographer, I was a self-proclaimed one before that, and to tell you, I would like to be addressed so more often, though the truth is that right now I have no credentials for being called one except for a camera.

I would kick start my blogging journey on Virtual Nikethan through a photo blog of the trip to Kanakapura me, Anand, Gireesh, Shubha and Pratima made last weekend.

We were there to distribute the notebooks collected from the notebook collection drive in Anand’s office. As we reached the school I was taken aback to see the almost the whole school assembled in the courtyard. Anand being a seasoned volunteer, made his way to the make shift stage where he was joined by Shubha and Pratima, whereas I suddenly pretended to be busy clicking pictures and Gireesh preferred to look on from behind.


Siddaraju introducing us to the kids.

Siddaraju, the field worker from VN in Kanakapura introduced all of us to the kids, and told them why we were there. Anand started interacting with the kids and advised them to make proper use of the notebooks and study well. On being asked that what they wanted to do when they grew up, one of the kids answered that he’ll do social service, it was heartening to know that the seed for doing good to the society was already planted in such a young heart.


Anand lighting up the ceremonial lamp along with two kids.


There were looks of absolute glee on the kids’ faces as they received the notebooks and shook hands with Anand. Some parents, with pride on their faces, looked on the proceedings as the other kids enthusiastically clapped for their friends.


A girl claps on enthusiastically

As Pratima, Shubha and Gireesh went on to distribute the notebooks mingling with the kids as they did so, I sat among the kids clicking pictures and showing them their pictures. Kids become excited so easily, amazed to see themselves in the lcd display, having a camera certainly is a compensation if you don’t know the local language, you can at least interact through the pictures.


You see with your eyes, I dream. A shy kid, after receiving the notebooks.


He was talking to his friends laughing and smiling, after realizing that I was clicking him, he gave me this charming smile.

After distributing the notebooks to students from all standards and even some to college students, as we made to go, a horde of students wanted to shake hands with us, overwhelmed and feeling like celebrities we obliged As we headed for Chunchi falls after a yummy cuppa coffee at Siddaraju’s place, we were already feeling satisfied at having spent the day well.

P.S.-My liaison with photography started a few months back when I bought the Canon S3 IS, I enjoyed clicking away to glory and the camera became a constant companion to my trips and excursions. I recently attended a photography workshop, which has stimulated me to take photography seriously, I need to buy a DSLR soon, but till then I’ll try make the best use of what I have. The idea, as Anand the ‘excel’lent volunteer suggested, is to start profiling NGOs in and around Bangalore pictorially.

3 comments:

Wide Mouth said...

Nice, nice. But where are my photos ?

Sagar said...

Wonderful post! Seems like you guys have had a great time.

Sur said...

@Gezgp
he he, that remids me, there are no pics of mine either. ;)

@Sagar
Thanku! ya we did have a nice time, next time lets all of us go out.